I don’t know about you, but the summer months bring out my inner social butterfly.
There’s just something about those long bright days, the unexpected but joyous sunshine, and a general holiday feeling that seems to encourage spontaneity.
You know how it goes:
· You neighbour pops round and asks if you fancy a quick drink in the garden.
· You’re about to flop on the couch after work, but a glance out of the window reminds you how beautifully warm it still is so you grab your trainers for a quick walk around the park with a friend instead.
· The sun beating in your office window encourages you and your colleagues to take your sandwiches outside at lunchtime.
It’s all beautifully impromptu.
Which is ever-so-exciting until you remember — a smidge too late — that it’s been hours since you last applied your sunscreen.
I think this happens to most of us at least once every summer and it’s all the more frustrating because you’re usually so diligent about taking care of your skin.
So, here’s a gentle nudge to make this the year that you finally make it all the way to September without a single case of sunburn…
Here are my 4 top tips for avoiding the burn:
1. You know that little basket by the front door where you keep your keys and other bits and bobs? Add a headscarf, a hat, sunglasses, and a bottle of sunscreen to it during the summer months so it’s easy to grab your sun protection essentials on your way out of the door.
2. Keep an extra bottle of sunscreen in your bag so you can reapply before your lunchtime walk or when the sun finally decides to make an appearance on a cloudy day.
3. Choose a sunscreen that’s so easy to use, even the kids won’t object to it. This SPF 30 Brush on Block is my go-to because it’s beautifully breathable, you can apply it under and over make-up, and it’s refillable (great if you’re trying to live more sustainably). It’s also waterproof and the packaging is so light and compact it’s easy to pop one into your bag or keep it by the front door.
4. Remember those easily-forgotten areas like bald spots, the tops of your ears, and feet and toes!
Whether you’re a summer social butterfly, a dedicated sun-worshipper, or you still feel more comfortable gathering outside because of lingering COVID worries, I hope you have the most delightful (and skin-safe!) summer possible.
P.S. The Mimosa diary is filling up fast this month with folks organising their pre-holiday treatments. So if you still need to book in for your pre-travel waxing session, we’d recommend securing your spot sooner rather than later. Book your appointment now.